Not a dirtbike, but still a conversion

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
NightBiker07

Not a dirtbike, but still a conversion

Post by NightBiker07 »

Dropping a 5.0 V8 into my truck out of a 98 Explorer. Picked up the engine, trans, and 90% of the rest of the stuff I need to drop it into my Ranger. 76000 miles on the drivetrain. Even got the motor mount plates so this will bolt right into my truck. Got it all for 500, and 200 in travel gas. Ill get that much out of the V6 drivetrain I will pull out!

No idea what route to take with a Cam though, I know they dont like a cam with less than 114 degree LSA (explorer electronics issue). But other than that, I have no idea what would be a good swap. Looking for maybe a slight idle and more torque. Not really desiring a high-RPM fire-breather, truck will be my Daily Driver, and it needs to get decent fuel mileage.

Hoping to get to the swap in January, give me plenty of preparation time, and I dont have anything happening in January.

2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
Okotokian

Dyno Tune and remap

Post by Okotokian »

Usually the best bang for the $$ is getting the fuel injection remapped with a dyno tune. Will optimize the air/fuel ratio at various rpms to give a little better tq/hp and even a bit better fuel economy.
NightBiker07

Re: Dyno Tune and remap

Post by NightBiker07 »

Okotokian wrote:Usually the best bang for the $$ is getting the fuel injection remapped with a dyno tune. Will optimize the air/fuel ratio at various rpms to give a little better tq/hp and even a bit better fuel economy.
That tuning can be done pretty well via data-logs taken with a handheld tuner, then sent to a guy that writes tunes.

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

Iirc, the explorer 5 oh came with gt40 heads. should make a kick ass little truck.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

dannygraves wrote:Iirc, the explorer 5 oh came with gt40 heads. should make a kick ass little truck.
GT40P heads from 98-up. My motor definitely has the P heads. :cool:

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Long time-no update. Cylinders had rust in them-must have gotten some water in there when the guy had it in storage.

So, motor got a new short block. New pistons, all new bearings....I also threw a performance cam from Comp Cams into it, converted to Roller Rockers from Crane Cams, and a double roller timing chain from Edelbrock to correct any cam timing retard machined into stock components. Stuck with the stock rocker ratio as per recommendation from other 5.0 guys. Should run real nice.

Project is rolling along, just ripped the truck apart today, no turning back now!

I'll get some pics posted when I've got some progress, but for now, I will leave you guys with this

The Damage

Fresh paint, and the roller rocker set up.

And, the intake plenum plate-polished aluminum letters and old ford blue for the rest.

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Looks pretty cool. Don't you love that no turning back point. I have 2 trucks I went there with right now. My green 65 4x4 went the cummins route, my 65 travelall is getting the front suspension out of a 2005 crown vic......since they are both internationals there is no instruction booklet and nobody has done it so I'm on my own. Probably should have done one at a time but oh well. looks like you have a cool project truck should rip along nice
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Nothing like paving the way! I cant stand having more than one project at a time. Drives me crazy having something ripped apart, cause all I want to do is race for the end product (without cutting corners, that is)

Stock motor i believe is around 130 HP. With the work done to the V8, it should be around 300. Stock is 225. After its running, I have a Tuner to write some tunes for my SCT Tuner to take full advantage of my changes

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

i kinda want to do this to my ranger :lol:

the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I had my green truck in the middle of the swap when the power steering went out on my travelall. The part that broke was unobtainium and I didn't want to look around for it forever and had the crown vic frontend. I thought it would only take a couple days so I put it in front of my green truck......didn't work out to be so quick, as usual. I'm almost done and cant wait to have big discs and power rack and pinion instead of straight axle with 4 wheel drums.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Those 2.5's LOVE boost. They respond better to boost than the V6.

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Update: It Runs! Got all the PATS stuff installed yesterday, and she fired RIGHT up. Only let it run for a second, dont have any trans fluid (need a Yoke for driveshaft first)

Couple odds and ends left to do and she will be driving. When its all done, I will post a detailed write-up of what all I had to do.

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Got her running properly. My dumb ass changed over 100 vehicle wires to make this all work, and did it all right the first time. As fate would have it, I mixed up cylinder 5 and 6 plug wires and that was causing my running issue. Strange thing is, it idled nearly perfect.....

Muffler shop to reconnect the exhaust to the muffler that is already under the truck. Then its back on the road

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6