pumpkins

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
2strokeforever

pumpkins

Post by 2strokeforever »

rode a well setup 300 2 days ago, spent a bunch of time with the susp tuner trying to get the 500 to behave, it would kick unless it was valved soft, but then its soft
saw a 07 250SXF for sale or trade, traded the RM 250 + cash for it, decided i would take it for a ride and test out the rev limiter :lol: before tearing it down

the thing has stiff suspension, but no sharp impact to the wrist even without flex bars, still has a 19" rear and dosent deflect off small trail junk. found some whoops and...

the best part is that i can get the exact valving in the first one put into mine which is even better

had a gutless engine, really funky bar bend and no handguards and i was going faster than i have ever went on the honda, and still feeling confident

500 is already apart and 250 f is on its way
Last edited by 2strokeforever on October 15th, 2012, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Am I reading this right?

You are swapping the 500 into the ktm? That I can understand....

Certainly you arent riding/racing a 4T?
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

500 is already apart and 250 f is on its way
500 engine is already mocked up in the KTM, i wanted to flog the ktm as a 4t just once and also make sure the chassis was up to par

im hoping to be racing my 500 sx sunday at the piston run
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

i like the airfilter setup, shock and forks are better, way easier to work on, more ground clearance adjustable triple clamps, better rear brake pedal design

hate list, where there should be a seat there is a big brick, i dont like the shape of the brembo front brake lever
4stroke=dead fish
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Well that looks pretty awesome, you doing the fab work yourself??

Is there a factory set of ktm rad fans that will bolt up to those rads?
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

im not doing the welding
no there isnt fan mounting tabs, but that isnt that hard to fix
4stroke=dead fish
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Well building the bike you want to have that you can't just buy is what this site is all about, if it "fits" you right, then that's a great move, and you can always sell the ktm motor I'm sure,

We will definetly need some helmet cam vids from this!
blownbillybob

SR500r

Post by blownbillybob »

NICE!!!!!!!

It's like that frame was made for that engine!
Mine fell wright in and fit like a glove with minimal work, I think a guy could do one in a weekend once he got familiar with the conversion!!

Mine is a '08 450SXF , I'm all done with the conversion and mock up I'm just gathering some parts and have to finish the engine?????
Just picked up a rear wheel for it talon hub, Buchanan spokes, sun rim 18X3.50!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YA. BOYEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
08,KTM SR500r hillclimber (conv)
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02,pro jr 50 open exh. hill climber(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

got it finished today, except a few small things like cdi mounts, and i weighed it and got 220lb ready to ride without fuel on what i think is an accurate scale

in the next week ill try and gather whats left of the honda and see what it weighs
4stroke=dead fish
Nodge

Re: SR500r

Post by Nodge »

blownbillybob wrote:NICE!!!!!!!
sun rim 18X3.50!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YA. BOYEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did you buy that one from pool master? Nice wheel, but damn...
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

YUP!!!!!!
I got the gold one

he still has a silver one!!!!
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

took it for a ride today, other than forgetting to tighten any of the subframe bolts and a tiny coolant leak it was sweet, felt light and it inspired confidance, will get a video tomorrow
i know it would be a lot cooler if scott summers didnt already do it with a xr600
4stroke=dead fish
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Dam dude!!!! Eat your wheaties this morning!!! LOL!!!!

Sick hope you enjoy it and works good for ya !!! Keep us up to date on any changes, I'm interested in how the rear susp works ????

Can't wait to get mine done. But I'm barried in work wright now!!!!!
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
B440

Post by B440 »

Nice!
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

wheel bearings exploded and took out the hub, ill back in action next weekend with a shiny new 18 wheel :lol:

only thing i dont like is she runs hot with the restrictive and small capacity cooling system.... li ion battery and fans on the way, the whole fan setup should weigh less than a pound and cure overheating (hopefully)
4stroke=dead fish
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

You might try some aftermarket rads with bigger cooling cap. Seen a bunch on eBay for cheap!!!!!!!!
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

thse rads are 2 pounds heavier each, and they wont do that much to help....

my fan and battery should weigh less than 1 lb and fix my overheating
4stroke=dead fish
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

heres a short vid of a climb the first ride out, before with the crf rads i could usually get up without boiling.....

now that im used to it i can hold a line better :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7GJp-8B ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
4stroke=dead fish
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

a 2.0 is on the way, and fans are installed, finally mounted the silencer properly (using both mounts now)

had issues with the pipe hitting the ignition cover.... nothing "race clearancing" wont fix ;D

eventually i will put the aluminum piece in there and bolt it to the plastic guard, but its pretty solid how it is

everything fits surprisingly well

another climb, video dosent do it justice....
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGdOabSk ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
4stroke=dead fish
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

for valentines day she got a Ti spring, rubber bar mounts and composite handlebars to replace heavy flexx bars (the CF bars are 1.4 lbs, the same as pro tapers)

she lost 5 lbs total, it will be interesting to see if carbon fiber bars will hold up, they seem to dampen vibration just as good or better than flexxbars

i wll report back once i get some seat time in
4stroke=dead fish
B440

Post by B440 »

Looking good :cool:

How the hell is the front sprocket guard mounted?? It looks like it's just free-floating above the sprocket.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

How the hell is the front sprocket guard mounted
its just sitting there, but the guard is held in by the case where the bolt is missing, its pretty solid
4stroke=dead fish
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

took it for a ride today, loosing 3 lbs from the bars makes the bike feel completely different

the PHDS and composite bars have noticably less buzz at the grips compared to flexxbars, they also flex but without that loose feeling
if they last a season i will be real happy with them

the mounts are real clean, but they dont fit the phds, so i made my own crooked :oops: mount for the center handguard ends (notice the nubs welded in the slot so the guards dont silp)
looks like some sort of uv barrier thing, dosent look cheesy

perfectly valved with 50 clicks lsc and hsc, DLC coated stuff, and the TI spring, she floats
4stroke=dead fish
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Those bars look pretty good. I have been waiting to pull the trigger on Flexx bars myself - now I may hold off. What stage bar did you go with? 1X,2X,3X? What is meant by PHDS?
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

i went with the softest 3x option, its still pretty stiff, sitting on the bike and pulling on the bars as hard as i can only bends them an inch or so

the ktm PHDS is a true rubber mounted handlebar clamp, its not like those honda/kawi rubber cones that dont really do anything

when i have some time i will run the bars without the PHDS and see how well they do with solid clamps

flexxbars are good, but adding 3 lbs to your handlebars makes the bike feel like a battleship
4stroke=dead fish