New Member From Temecula, CA

A quick "How ya'Do", and a photo would be nice.
zano650

New Member From Temecula, CA

Post by zano650 »

I bought an '85 CR500 on impulse a while ago. It starts, but needs to be rebuilt. The PO had it for over 30 years and never had the cylinder off. He said it had recently become, "...harder and harder to start out on the trail." No shit...LOL.. 30 years. It probably still has the original piston in it.

Anyway, It seems crankshafts for these are no longer available (at least from my quick searching...nothing from OEM suppliers nor from Hot Rods). Can the original cranks be rebuilt?

The water pump housing is leaking. Looks like that can be remedied with a newer aluminum one? I'd be tempted to try my hand at epoxying the old one first.

I'd like to try this thing out at Superstion...but I'm not sure if parts are going to be too difficult to find to make it worth the effort.

Is this group still active? Do any of you ride the SoCal desert....like Ocotillo Wells or Superstition?
Attachments
IMG_20191228_165555.jpg
IMG_20191228_165555.jpg (4.21 MiB) Viewed 11140 times
IMG_20191228_165531.jpg
IMG_20191228_165531.jpg (4.16 MiB) Viewed 11140 times
IMG_20191228_165502.jpg
IMG_20191228_165502.jpg (3.7 MiB) Viewed 11140 times
Kris

Re: New Member From Temecula, CA

Post by Kris »

Nice old 85. I got one also and it runs tits!!! :D Welcome to the boards, its kinda slow on here but its home :cool: I to am in Californication. I converted my 85 to an 86 ignition and head. What a difference is starting :shock: Get the aluminum side cover. If you can1t get one I have rebuilt OEM covers for sale.
PIN THE THROTTLE TILL IT HOLES THE PISTON!!!!!!!!!! :flamed:
Kris

Post by Kris »

Here is my 85Image
zano650

Post by zano650 »

Kris, that bike looks fantastic!

My biggest question right now is what to do about a crankshaft. Apparently the 85-86 had a different crank than the newer ones? Honda doesn't make the crank or rod kits anymore for these (at least not that I've been able to find). What are we doing about that these days?

This engine hasn't been apart since it left the factory. There aren't any strange noises or symptoms that necessarily indicate that the crank is bad....but if I'm going to try to make a runner out if this relic, I'm not going to put a fresh top end on 35yo crank bearings. What did you do with yours? I mean, I suppose I could change the main bearings and seals and run the old rod bearing, but that just seems....wrong....??
mikemanx1

Post by mikemanx1 »

Hi!
Congrats about your bike!
I have an ´86, and got a lot of info and knowledge from here.
Crankshaft
I'll start with what i asume is well known info, just in case you don´t it.
85 an 86 had a 139mm rod, 87 and newer 144mm, thats the main difference, don´t remeber if there's another regarding to amount of splines on drive side.
Honda didin´t sold replacement rods, only complete crankshafts.
It doesn't matter, they don't dell them any more for that years. The only option I've found is: http://crankworks.com/index.php/motorcy ... c-pro-rods
I've writen them.
They never answered. (I wonder if they saw my wallet)

B Plan:
Fit a long rod using a spacer for cylinder base.
It's the most comon solution, there are kits for that.

Don´t know if it could be possible to use bottom end pin and bearing from these kits to bring new life to your old set.

Clutch cover, the only ones that are not rotten are NOS.
89 and newer are aluminium instead of magnesium, that allow an extra clutch disc in case you upgrade clutch hub, and they have a separate clutch inspection cover as added benefit.
You´ll have to reroute water hose from cover and modifiy brake pedal.
89 an 90 are painted black.
I've epoxied mine, worked for test purpouses, didn´t dare to use the bike that way.
Kris

Post by Kris »

I have found out about the bearings on CR`s if the bike was really taken care of good the only thing that I would replace is the seals. Used to be a Honda mech and the bearings on cranks almost never had problems even if they where old but I say again the bike has to WELL taken care of and not abused. Seals always wear out, from age and deterioration along with inferior chemicals in the lube oil. If you can find bearings it would be good to replace them but like most of us people that rebuild the engines if the bearing is not to bad...Fuck it and use it again. It will let you know when it is time to replace it before the big boom. :cool: