New member from hawaii

A quick "How ya'Do", and a photo would be nice.
corksil

New member from hawaii

Post by corksil »

Ey guys I found a street legal cr5 and bought it.

The bike is a blast but I don't have time to ride it much and need to get some better gear before I can really feel comfortable opening it up.

I'm in hawaii.

Figured I'd introduce myself.

And yeah it's a b!tch to get the bike started.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

welcome, what year is your bike?
starting these is all technique, you just need to find what works best for your bike, also it helps to have the carb adjusted well.

here is my ritual:
1.cold bike, choke on, kick through 2 or 3 times, doesn't need to be hard.
2.choke still on, slowly kick to find TDC, then one short click past, reload the kicker to the top, kick through hard and fast but you shouldn't have to hurt yourself.
if it doesn't start repeat step 2, if it doesn't start after the second kick like this, I'll usually then turn off the choke and attempt a couple more kicks.

when warmed up you can skip the choke portion.
if it starts with the choke on, turn it off right away, you just need a little fuel enrichment to get the beast woke up.

That's me, others methods will vary. I had one with a new carb that wasn't just right, I had issues with that, Aliso Bob got on it and was kicking it through like it was an 80cc bike :shock:
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
corksil

Post by corksil »

Okay are you ready? It's a 97 CR250 aluminum frame (first year honda introduced the AF, and I've heard it's structurally over-engineered) -- with a 1990 CR500 engine in it. And it's street legal.

It's got the original carb, a cracked pipe, a trick kick stand, bars, hand-guards, and new plastics.

Also has lights and turn signals but I'm not sure they work.

I only rode it once, and it's been parked since because I've been really busy working trying to make back the wad I blew on it.

Also has a decompression lever installed in the head, by whom I was told was a member on this forum. Not sure who..

Yeah I got it fired up in the sellers garage. Then again at my house, and rode it for a 1/4 mile. Then tried to start it again (lol, lots of adrenaline flowing at that point) and gouged my shin on the peg so I decided to put on my sportbike boots for the shin protection and realized that it was a bad idea because my work boots had a tough sole on the bottom and the riding boots were soft leather. Gave up after a few kicks.

Thanks for the tips, I have lots of ideas for this bike but right now it's a back burner project.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

If using the decomp valve, it is difficult to locate the true TDC, I don't have one on my bike and it starts easy, I would try it without but some say the decomp will help prevent the case from breaking at the kick start lever.
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
corksil

Post by corksil »

Following up...

I've ridden this bike once since posting last. It was a few days ago and I only went around the block a few times.

On april 3rd I had a wicked crash on my ninja 250 and have more or less been out of commission for the past two months.

Anyways, I'm back and I hope to start posting here more frequently.