Pinnacles. 5/1

WTF Happened!!!!
Mad Dog

Pinnacles. 5/1

Post by Mad Dog »

Epic day!!!!!!!!!
The area is beautiful right now. The stream crossings are almost axle deep in some areas.

This was a big day for me as I have been out for 18 months. Wasn't even sure if I was going to ride again.
In the interim and for motivation I had Roosty do a de-comp and I picked up a new/used 400 XC-W.
Right now I want to give Algava a big thanks for showing up and pushing me.

Since I had been out for so long, I wasn't sure how hard I wanted push.
So it starts out as we are getting ready I putted the pumpkin over to get a map and met a guy named Dan. Very cool guy who really likes motorcycles. He has 32. From nowhere he starts talking about Team Trubble and his trick 500. (Remember I am on a pumpkin and Al hasn't come over yet with his AF)
We broke the news to him, and he wasn't surprised. He said he had an uncomfortable feeling. (Dan wasn't born yesterday.)
He asks where we are going and I mention Deep Creek and he says great. He wants to go up by the bridge, up the little rocky incline and back into the nasty stuff.
I say I am not interested after my 18 mo lay off and an unfamiliar bike.
But he's welcome to come along. After he's geared up, he looks like a martian. He's has a camera on top of his helmet and one on his chin bar.
I point to him to lead and he says no, no. He is going to film us. I look to Al to lead, he motions to me. Great, 18 mos. off, unfamiliar bike and I'm on point. Hope they they don't get bored.
As I said earlier the stream crossings where deep and they were drenching my boots and a couple of chest and face shots.
Naturally I get us lost, but Dan points us right and we arrive down at Devil's Hole. It is FULL.
We are resting and I comment to Dan about my age and he has a few on me.
He's 66, with at least one knee replacement, maybe two. (I dont' recall)
He is also an ex hillclimber. He know's Robbies Dad from way back.
Yep, he can ride.
We leave Devil's Hole and find some single track. Traction is great, dust minimal. We come across and Suzuki who points out the 3 stuck guys on the ridge. He talks about the mud bog, the trench and the boulder in the way after the mud.
We agree, we go anyway. I come around the corner, the guys are pulled over to the left, I stay right and get bogged.
Here comes Al around the corner, I point to the left, he winds up in the trench and just Ditch Witch's it up and over and around the boulder.
Well, sheeeet. If he can do it, I can do it. As I try to pull out I realize I am unearthing a boulder and not going to go anywhere.
I realize I have limited time as Dan will be coming around the corner any moment. I yanked it up and out and Ditch Witched it up and over. (Those pour guys on the side getting major mud roost)
I meet up with Al and we are waiting wondering about Dan. Pretty soon he shows laughing himself silly. Apparently he had an incident over the handlebars and he has it on film. (66 and mule tough)
Away we go to more single track. We hit a stream running in the single track. I hardly even slow down, figure it's good place to clean the mud out of the knobbbies when about 1/4 the way up it I remember there is a route around it. So what, I am in it and Al's on my hip. It gets about axle deep, we carry on. We get to the end and merge with the trail and here comes Dan around it, again laughing. He says, you know most guys get about half way and turn around, not you guys.
We carry on, more single track more fun and head back to the trucks.

I'm reminincing about the ride and thinking this 400 XC-W is one fabulous bike and convince Al he needs to ride it and I'll take my AF out for ride up and around the lake over to the damn. He's on.
Dan's coming too. He rode a KTM earlier, we thought he was going to bring his Husky. He's bring a CR125. :shock: He is bigger than both Al and I, not as big as Jay or Bob, but a 125??

We go. Just when I thought the KTM was so good, I experienced the power of the 500 again. Oh yeh.
We stop and look at a nice climb and Dan wants to know if we are going to it. I don't care. He wants to go first to see if the 125 will make it. He makes it. Al goes on the 400. He makes it. I'm slipping and sliden all over but I do make it.
We stop and admire the view of the lake and I ask Al what he thinks.
I know what's coming. The same feeling I always have coming right a 500 and getting on a four poke.
It's OK, he wants to try my AF. No problem. We go the damn.
Admire the view and on the way back
Dan wants to climb the face entrance to N17X on the 125. He clears.
(The man can ride)
We are back at the truck chatting about the day. We did 58 miles. Dan's talking about going out later. I am done as I can hardly stand up. Al decides to call it a day too.
After 18 mos. it feels great and I feel like I'm set free. It's great to be back in the saddle again and I'll see you guys around.

Again, thanks Al. :headbang:
'We are motorcycle people; we walk tall and we laugh at whatever’s funny. We shit on the chests of the Weird….' HST
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

18 months x 58 miles??

You da' man, Doggie!!!

:urock:
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

AlisoBob wrote:18 months x 58 miles??

You da' man, Doggie!!!

X2!!

Sounds like it was a hell of a ride!!
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Kick Ass!!!
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
britincali

Post by britincali »

Great writup!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

britincali wrote:Great writup!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

X2
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
chachi243

suhweet

Post by chachi243 »

glad you rocked it after the time off...... ! great writeup as well ( X3)
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

sabreguy wrote:
AlisoBob wrote:18 months x 58 miles??

You da' man, Doggie!!!

X2!!

Sounds like it was a hell of a ride!!
X3!! Sounded fun! Now...did you keep in contact for the video footage? :wink:
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

:cool: :cool: :cool:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I heard the KTM has some goofy lookin' graffitti on the number plate..... throw up a photo to confirm this.
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

NICE
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

AlisoBob wrote:I heard the KTM has some goofy lookin' graffitti on the number plate..... throw up a photo to confirm this.

http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... 020#101020
'We are motorcycle people; we walk tall and we laugh at whatever’s funny. We shit on the chests of the Weird….' HST
Algava

Post by Algava »

First af all Great writeup Mike, glad we could meet and ride together, you're a cool guy.
Cool meeting Dan,he knew his way around and he was a pretty good rider too.I was amazed when he said Mr Teemtruble wanted to make a cr5 for him, we made him well aware of the situation.

I only have a few pics of the ride:

This is Maddog with our new friend Dan

this is me and Dan

This is a picture of my new Magura clutch.
Every 500 should have one....what a difference, well worth the 2 bills it costs.

Weather and views were beautiful, the ride epic like MadDog said.
I enjoyed testing out the KTM first and then the SH cr5, thanks Mike.
The KTM felt more stable overall, good amortization and e start, the power was ...different(of course), you can go the same places and maybe faster than the CR5 but no way way you get excited like riding the earth pounder.
The SH CR5 had the usual power(not enough space to test the porting out), front forks nice (Enzo air chambers)and good cornering but way to stiff in the back(needs dialing), couldn't deliver all that power to the ground, slipping and sliding all over.
All added up I love my bike, probably because I'm use to it and ...that new Magura clutch.I find myself using the cluch more often(when necessary) because my hand doesn't get as tired.
I had my forks revalved and I'm waiting for a 20 mm RG3 triples to show at the door.
I'm glad that I'm at the level where I can feel the difference in handling and cornering a twist of a dial does, saddle time is the key.
I hear the boys are out there riding as I write, have fun guys.
Al out
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

Algava wrote:... the power was ...different...
:lol: :lol: :lol: