2009 Day in the Dirt

WTF Happened!!!!
redrocket190

2009 Day in the Dirt

Post by redrocket190 »

Not my video (obviously), but gives you a some idea of how good the track was.

A fantastic weekend for me despite bike problem in one race and riding even more pedestrian than usual due to flu. Rode two practices, Novice GP, Vet GP and then Senior Vet. Next year I am going to train, practice and enter the Beginner classes!
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

:cool:
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

Iggy, I am baffled why you don't give some GPs a try. Especially at somewhere like Glen Helen when you would have most of the track nailed already.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Stamina, or the lack of being able to go 45 minutes at a time. But then its not like a flat out moto. Plus this Kenda front tire has got to go, it flat out sucks at GH. Going back to a Bridgestone.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Great shot.....
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

iggys-amsoil wrote:Stamina, or the lack of being able to go 45 minutes at a time. But then its not like a flat out moto. Plus this Kenda front tire has got to go, it flat out sucks at GH. Going back to a Bridgestone.
Unfortunately no one seemed to be "pacing" themselves at all, and the track cut up rougher than Glen Helen because its more sandy. I was toast. However I'm going back in the New Year to run the CRC GPs there because I love the place so much.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

Given Adelanto is next weekend, I figured it might be prudent to find out why the CR stopped running at DITD. The symptoms were spark, but no ability to run but some nice pops and farts. Pulled off the ignition cover and found the inside little scored suggesting the Steahly flywheel weight had come loose, and it had. Despite being correctly torqued with the engine locked up, it seems one or more of the little allen screws that pinch the stock rotor had backed out. This allowed the weight - which acts as a big nut for the rotor - to loosen up and then the rotor took advantage of the wiggle room to break the woodruff key. Ipso facto random spark timing. Parts on order, will be leaving the weight off for this weekend, although it was a nice ride with it on!
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Really cool that you found your ignition problem.
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

My weight was doing the same thing. The instructions say NOT to locktite the set screws as you prolly know. I used purple locktite and the problem went away. The purple will break easily when you need to remove the weight :wink:
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

seanmx57 wrote:My weight was doing the same thing. The instructions say NOT to locktite the set screws as you prolly know. I used purple locktite and the problem went away. The purple will break easily when you need to remove the weight :wink:
Thanks for the tip, Sean. I'll do that.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Arent you supposed to be at the GP right now Stiles?
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

Yes, I was. I have sinus/chest infection and bronchitis. Just got up from 24+ hours sleeping on/off and feel a bit better - thanks Mr. Augmentin - but no way good enough for Adelanto. Fortunately I was able to hook up with Mr. Lewis yesterday and email my entry to him. (Well-deserved and long overdue payback from helping me out with the ignition.)
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF