Rhino's AF rides

WTF Happened!!!!
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Hey I am still here too. Just stay quiet mostly.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Well I have been switching gears slightly, I put my street legal garbage back on my 650 and have been riding that to work once a week or so. I forgot how good this bike is. I love it everywhere and the feel I was looking for out of the CRFX500 whatever was what the 650 has. I can blast fire road fast and it never feels crazy on the square edges, it's a beast in the whoops, and it hammers single track pretty good for it's size. I've been riding the crfx thing on the weekends a little but this time of year it's hot so I end up at the lake wakeboarding with the family as much as possible. The CRFX is as good as it can be I think, I love it but this is more enduro time of year for me.

On a side note I picked up this little DRZ250 that needed fork seals, a carb clean and a battery for $400 as my loaner bike for people not ready to sling a leg over the 500 or 650. It's a good little bike, runs great has good little power, low seat height, smooth...everything a loaner bike should be. It also has electric start so I don't have to start 2 bikes to go riding with a friend who isn't an A rider type guy. Really fun little bike.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Killer dual sport ride yesterday and for once I was not alone. My friend I work with rode his KTM into work and we tore up about 60 miles afterward. Bunch of singletrack, some 2 track some fire roads...hell we even hit the motorcross track for a few minutes. It was super windy and my first flight cross wind it pushed me sideways big time......not an easy feat whith an xr650r but it pushed the shit out of me. After that I stayed close to the ground on the cross winds and only aired the parallel jumps. For a mush box desert style suspension fully outfitted with an 8" race light, trail computer, tail light and bogus turn signals it does surprisingly well on a track. after a few laps I was clearing most of the tables and manned up a couple doubles. The track wears me out more than miles and miles of everything else. Anyway this weekend is shaping up to be some wakeboarding and a rip on the 500.

Life is fucking great!!!!! I heard a report today that said people who have kids are miserable and the stress associated with having kids and the unhappiness parents feel is equal to losing a spouse. Man I don't get it, yes I have to schedule my life a little more, yes I do activities like wakeboarding/surfing more because its the whole family, but man am I having a good time in this life I'm living. I am certainly not the richest guy, I don't have the best of everything, you know I can always look at someone else and think they have it better than me but sometimes I wonder??

When my Dad found out he was going to die soon from Cancer my sister said to him "Dad it's time to do the bucket list" my Dad said "Julie I don't have one, I have done everything I ever wanted to do, all I want to do for the remainder of my life is watch my garden grow and hang out with my family" I really looked up to the guy and feel I am well on my way to being able to say the same thing.

I'm having a great life and these motorcycles have been such a huge part of who I am and how I live. :rmwl:
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

:clink: :applaud: :nanna:
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Rode the AF briefly on Sunday evening...that thing has reached a level near perfection. I rode my XR to work yesterday with my friend I work with. We have been hitting the MX track a lot. Yesterday on the way to work we whooped out bigtime as the sun was coming up. Made it through the work day then we hit the prosser OHV park right after work and tore their singletrack loop up. It's like 15 miles of pretty techy stuff. Then we blasted some fire roads and singletrack over to the prosser pits MX track and hung out doing laps for probably an hour and a half. Then we blasted some fire roads over to the dam at Boca and rode from Boca reservoir past Stampede reservoir. Never got below 70 on the road kind of like super motard racing...little bit of corner sliding. Then we road Dog Valley Road in the dark to Verdi and a quick street scoot and I was in my driveway.

I love living here.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Man, you are living the life, that sounds so awesome, some of us only have opportunities like that when on vacation. :whoop:
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

I'm starting to get jealous........
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

O.K I'm sure we will roll again this week I will try to stop for a few pictures.
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Well I just put a new set of shoes on my 500 so maybe I'll get out and ride this weekend.............
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Hey Matt, no rides this weekend? :spank:
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

I finally was able to get out a do a little ride Monday with my oldest son. Not much to tell but it felt good back on the bike.
I put on a Maxxis EN on the front so far I like it doesn't fell like it wants to wash out like the old tire.
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

No I rode to work yesterday, but I was solo and for whatever reason I just don't stop when I'm by myself much. I'll post up a little scenery but I don't have a gopro or anything and it would be boring watching an old man putt putt around anyway.

No Moto this weekend, it's sort of the last summer hooray for me and I put the boat away after this weekend. I'm headed down towards the valley a bit because it's supposed to get windy and cold. I love making my turns behind the boat and my older daughter is actually turning into a little ripper on the wakeboard and the Surfboards. My friends and I are pretty sure we could throw a cooler lid behind the boat and my daughter could ride it...she just has good balance and flows really well and is starting to jump pretty good. I like riding dirtbikes probably more than anything but I love being in the water in the summer, I used to surf so making some turns behind the boat keeps me from jones-ing to be near the ocean. The boat is cool too because the whole family is out there with a bunch of friends instead of me just being a loner in the woods.
Some pics.

Verdi peak from 3 different angles

another part of my summer was bagging the back of this then replacing the quarter panel you cant see thats all wadded up

Rode my street baby a little think I'm at 98,000 now...didn't get to ride it as much as I want I really wanted 100000 like 2 years ago but life keeps getting in the way I rode it more when my kids were in Pampers but still part of my summer

Put this back together after I grenaded it. Fatty pipe, fatty porting, cr250 ignition, PWK bla bla hope it rips

Shit I see while I am riding.

Don't have any boat pictures, still working on my cummins swap in my big green truck, ended up building a 12 valve cummins extra cab 4x4, put together a DRZ250 as a loaner bike and worked on my house

A mans home is his hassle

Thats my summer now I will start getting depressed I LOVE SUMMER!!!!!
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Do you ride down the split in the rocks at Verde peak?

must be nice living in a place most of us would like to be vacationing in :cry:
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

No that split is more like a cliff in person. I have a bunch of single track that gets me close to the peak, then a rocky fire road the last mile or so. There is an old fire look out up there that was manned when I first moved here but hasn't been used in like 20 years or so that is pretty cool to just hang out for a few minutes.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Hey Matt, you don't talk to us anymore :(
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I'm still here, I ride better than I type and I don't ride all that well. I rode Monday out at sand mountain...it was a blast. I had my pure sand bike thats all ported out ripping hard, it was smoking everything, then it clipped a ring on the exhaust side, cracked it and munched up the cylinder. It was so awesome while it was running though. Then I pulled out Bobs old bike the AF. The power is way more rideable but doesn't have that monster hit on top...what it does have is the sickest suspension for me on the planet and I can flick it around anywhere I want and I was hitting these whoops at the bottom of the comp hill coming down hill at them in the top of 5th effortless. The suspension is tuned for my desert singletrack style and it still handled unbelievable. My buddy got some pics and some vids...once processed I will post them up. 500's in the sand are fun.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Ya,
I love the sand, you've witnessed me on single track, I would not even qualify it as riding, more like just trying to survive, that stuff just takes so much out of me, I might be ok if the temperature was in the 60s :wink:
it's incredible how the MX guys can ride the summer season.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Still motoing

Here is an early part of yesterdays session. XR was killing it, might have been a handful on the 500. Don't know because my parts didn't show up on time for the 500. I blew a water pump seal on Sunday with the 500 and caught it. Was ripping some singletrack and started thinking this thing is either lean as hell or hot as it. Filled it with camelback water and straight lined it like 15 miles to the truck. tore it apart that night and ordered up the water pump seal from Rocky Mountain with a new pair of moto underwear to keep my old man ball bag from flopping around so bad and some other stuff. Rocky Mountain didn't make it in time for the Wednesday moto session and probably just as well the XR650 was killing the snow. We got better at it as the day went on and had a blast.
http://vid1230.photobucket.com/albums/e ... ayxj2x.mp4
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

I always though it would be fun to put a paddle tire on and ride in the snow, maybe hit the ski area in the middle of the night :twisted:
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Figured I'd hit a little update in here. I rode Bob's old bike through Hoonfest and for the week after. To be honest I'm not sure if I am really all that much faster on that thing than I was on a Steely but it just makes it easier. I guess I'm getting old so I just go at the speed I go and thats it. The bike really rides great and I have it exactly where I want it. The suspension is perfect for me, I got a little bit different seat foam for it from guts. The seat I got it with was pretty comfy but would start to hurt a little after about 4 hours....the guts one is slightly wider and it made a difference. Been rolling a dunlop up front and a IRC VE in the rear and I like the combo. I am happy with the bike and wont be touching it until Roosty's buddy finishes the electric start deal and thats the next upgrade.

My XR was already where I love it, I rode that one day after Hoonfest on a little dual sport ride...just fire roading, that thing eats up fire road like a champ. Ironically I always sit riding singletrack on the AF, The XR I pretty much ride most of the time standing. I think it's the weight. The CR weighs like 220 or something....I weigh more than that and I'm all torso. I think when I am standing on the CR it wants to put the heavy side down, thats me at the bottom. I seem to have more control sitting. I stand for whoops and stuff and really kind of hover on the seat but just keep the center mass low. On the XR it is so heavy and just feels planted...I pretty much stand on that bike. I love them both even though they are so different. I am taking these 2 to the grave with me for sure.

I bought another Steely, not sure why because I don't need any parts, I guess just because the price was right and I must have been feeling like I wanted another good motor. The top end has never been bored so that was worth a few hundred to me alone.

I also for whatever reason have begun to get into things that go bang. I took my Hunters safety when I was a little kid and I've always owned a few but lately I have just been getting more into them. I really like the mechanics of how they go together and I like the machining. Some I dig for Historical value or just their place in history some I just like because they are Ugly. I like that I can tear them apart on my dining room table and my wife doesn't get all pissed like she would if it was a motor. Then I kind of forgot that I am actually a pretty decent shot. At Hoonfest I set out a gong target I made out of some old steel I had here at the shop at a little shy of 300 yards....we were nailing it pretty consistant with the scoped rifles and I got it a few times open sighted with a Kalishnakov that I have always been told had no buisness reaching out like that. I kind of think BS now, I can walk that thing in on anything I want and you can feed it dog turds and it will fire it. Been playing with a Pistol my Dad gave me before he passed, I'm fairly handy with that one as well, cleaned it all up and have it cycling nice and smooth....Think of my dad when I shoot it, in a god way...haha.

Anyway thats my life currently, I ride pretty consistently still and love the bike I got from Bob. It looks like all my dirtbikes now, well used. I take good care of my stuff and my controls and everything are liquid smooth and work perfectly but I will never win the show and shine. It seems 500's are all but dead for anything but those snow bike conversions. A guy I know bought one and offered to let me try it out, I put a call into him today since we just got a couple feet of snow so that may be the next must have purchase. I know he was an avid snowmobiler and now those are gone and he is all about the timbersled....might need one. I'll keep you informed!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Refresh my memory, where do you live? Some cool stories and pics, btw.
I didn't ride for just over 2 years, until last November. Working in the oilpatch and all the flying across the country, had my life pretty fucked up. The drought ended last November, although it was on my 250. Roosty has the POS that WhoreGay Fanelli made, and he's redoing the whole thing for me.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I live in Reno right near the Nevada/California border. I work in California and ride to work on my XR often. It's just about the time of year where that starts up again, waiting for some snow to melt.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Son of a bitch, REALLY? If I'd known that, I would've looked you up. I ran through Reno all last summer, usually on the way to Tracy Ca,, then reload in Salinas. Pretty much a rounder every week. Used to take a nap at the top of the Donner, where the temp was cool enough to shut the truck off. Some awesome country up there.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

If that ends up your schedule again look me up. I have room for truck parking and extra bikes...take your pick I like them all and will ride whatever you don't want to ride. I have killer singletrack and fire roads all over the place right from the house...easy big rig turn around!!!