North Idaho "Hoonfest"

WTF Happened!!!!

Why didn't you make it to Idaho hoonfest?

Too far away.
29%
Sand in my vag.
43%
Mojo/Rob are assholes.
14%
No good riding in Idaho.
No votes
Not enough notice.
No votes
Trees are scary.
14%
My bike might get dirty.
No votes

Total votes: 7

MojoScojo

North Idaho "Hoonfest"

Post by MojoScojo »

Well, at least a few hoons made it, but seriously disappointed in the turnout. Especially the locals. Despite that, we had some riding, camping and camaraderie. :roast:

JT500 rolled in first from more than 1500 miles away and established camp at Honeysuckle campground. Rob129 arrived the next day and I followed him in to camp from the ranger station on the streetbike. We made introductions and BS'ed for a bit before making plans for the first day of riding.

Day 1:
I took them out to Canfield from the gun range and headed up trail 10. Not 2 minutes in a moose ran across my path and scared the bejeezus out of me, or maybe it was Coop trying to find his way to camp. I'm not really certain. :hiding:
We were headed for Spades Lookout up trail 28 through "The Scary Hill". JT500 was the first to give it a shot. He's seen my video on youtube.

He made it up to the rock wall with no problem, but then let the scary hill intimidate him and stopped. Apparently it's not the same in person or the video does not represent it well enough. ;D He gave it another shot, but ultimately went around as did Rob. I have every confidence they'll both get it next time.

Things were going well. Everyone seemed to be having fun. No other obstacles posed much trouble. Then when we finally got out of the rocks and into the hardpack, Rob cross rutted and went down twisting and landing on his right knee. Ouch. :flip: We kept pushing on, but ultimately, Rob's knee proved to be too much of an issue and so we turned back and headed out to the lookout over Coeur d'Alene. (Hopefully JT will throw his pictures/videos up here) Glorious day with excellent visibility made for a spectacular view.
From there we headed back down 9 to the gun range. I headed home for a shower and to pick up my wife to come camp for the night. In the meantime, I guess Rooster stopped by the camp and shot the breeze for a bit. Unfortunately I missed him...again.
At dinner, it was decided that we would take day 2 off from riding in hopes that Rob's knee would fell better for day 3 and allow Rob to tend to smoking the brisket he brought. JT also wanted to spend some time with his significant other who made the long haul with him. I guess I kept them out playing longer than they had anticipated. Shame on me, but I was having fun.

Coop arrived while I was cleaning up and packing up to come camp. (Like I said, Coop or moose, I dunno. We hadn't been introduced yet.)

Day 2:
My wife and I didn't sleep worth a damn. We hung out til almost noon getting to know everyone before I ran her back home (and took a nap) I came back for dinner and to make plans for Day 3. Rob's brisket turned out pretty dang good. Thanks again Rob!

Day 3:
Rob's knee was not getting better. It had stiffened up on him making it difficult to swing his leg over the bike let alone kick it. So, he stayed at camp with the family and nursed it for another day. The rest of us (dad came out with me too) decided to trailer the bikes from camp over to Hudlow and try making a loop out of trails 78 and 69. Ok, time to back up here. Coop. Coop is a big man, as many CR500 riders seem to be. Great guy, shining personality, logger by trade. Coop was not having a good day. Before we even hit the trail head, Coop's hydration pack sprung a leak and was getting his backside soggy. It was no small hole either. It looked like he picked up a nail with it. Not sure how he could have done that. Coop assured me that he had been out riding fairly aggressively the previous weekend and he felt pretty good. Any locals reading this know that trail 78 from the bottom is a fairly serious climb. Well, it proved to be too much for Coop's ol 84 CR500 clutch. Like i said, Coop is a big man. He coaxed that thing up probably 300 yards before it was evident that the old clutch was just not going haul him up it. I'll get the video posted up shortly. You can almost see it catching fire. :o Being a logger, watching Coop manhandle his bike on a hillside was impressive. Not a man I'd want to mess with. It was like he was pushing a CR80 around in some fairly precarious positions. Anyway, I decided we should try another route rather than destroy Coop's bike, so back down we went. It was too late, the damage was done. Coop had zero clutch left. It barely made the bike move forward. So I directed him on how to get back to camp and off he went. Sorry man. I wish it had turned out better. Hopefully we can connect again sometime.

Ok, so I've still got dad and JT. Lets head out toward Independence instead. So we crossed the creek and took the trail up the backside of Horse Heaven. Fun trail. Again, I have video I will upload from work's connection later. We got to the end of that and dad noticed his kickstarter was loose. He got out the wrench and went to tighten it up when half the bolt fell off in his hand. OH CRAP! :yikes: We got his bike started and sent him back to camp too.

I can just imagine Rob's reaction to bikes arriving back at camp unexpectedly. :miss:

With only JT and I left, we headed for Harvey's trail referred to by some of the locals as the "F me" trail. This is the trail:

While the trail earned the nickname for it's difficulty level in wet rainy conditions, today's conditions were perfect. Nice and tacky. JT tackled it with only a couple of minor stops. I told him he had earned his PNW singletrack merit badge, and he did. :woot: :headbang:

From there we took the road over to Weber Saddle and headed down Independence from the top. This is what I hoped to show Rob knowing what a scenery junkie he is. Again, JT has pictures and I hope he posts them. We continued down to the first creek crossing and came across a family on horseback. Nice folk. Cool to see people out doing stuff and coexisting on the singletrack. :cool: At the creek crossing there was another group of bikes who had taken the wrong path and sent a CR125 for a swim. :o They were trying to remove the spark plug to drain it with a crescent wrench. I loaned them my ratcheting plug wrench and they got it going. Knowing that we had been out for awhile now, I figured it was high time we head back to camp so we could rub salt in Rob's wounds. JT did just that, and I didn't have to. :nutkick:

Awesome ride JT. JT's machine is an 03 KX500. Sweet ride. He was able to crawl up Harvey's trail much slower than I could. And then riding down the road it was evident that he had at least 40mph more top end speed than I did. I may need to start looking for one of them motors. It seems the gearbox is much wider than the CR.

Back at camp, Coop pulled the cover off to have a look at the clutch. Wow did it stink. Yep, she's cooked. I ran back to town with dad and called the local shops on the minute chance they might have a clutch for Coop's bike. No luck. Dealerships don't stock squat anymore. It sucks. Back at home, we extracted the bolt from dad's kickstart spline. Luckily, I have recent experience with that and it came right out. He left to get a new bolt and I headed back to camp to inform Coop and for dinner. Teriyaki Pork chops. Yum! Thanks again Rob!

Day 4:
Same drill as day 3. I showed up at camp around 7:45 and we discussed what to do. Rob's knee was still bugging him, but he was determined to go. His wife did not look pleased. He simply asked that I make it a squid ride if possible. So, Rob, JT, Dad and I headed out from camp back up the road to 802 and took that mingled with 28 to Spades, down 78 where Coop smoked his clutch and out across Davis saddle. Should have some footage of creek crossing. Have to check. We stopped at the end of Davis Saddle and turned around to head back to camp. A short easy one, but still a decent ride.

Dad and I loaded up from there and headed home. I sat down and started writing this when I got home. I had to quit and take the FZ out to meet my family on the Pend Orielle river. More riding for me! Yay! I had a good day. I had 4 good days.

Thank you gents! I hope we can do it again some time.

PS. The rest of y'all suck. :bling: :nono: :moon:
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

:cool: :cool: :cool:
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

My excuse is not listed but is equally as lame.

Took family to Hawaii and used up all vacation time and extra cash

Came back from Hawaii and rebuilt small stack of extra cash and time off, used all of both on the baja 500

Friend of Family french girl came to town for a month July 1st and the hemorrhaging of cash began again as well as my remaining time off.

Totally sucks I really wanted to go and I have made it my midlife mission to ride as many different places as possible. The best way to do this is have a local tourguide who can show you the goods and I think we certainly have that in Mojo. I think we all blew it I just couldn't make it happen this year.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Coop smokin his clutch.

@0:48 HOLY CRAP DUDE! Pushing that thing up the hill like it was a mountain bike.

Again @1:58 just lift the front wheel around, no big deal...O.O

@3:35 All kinds of noise, back wheel doing nothing...
No longer have a CR500.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Trail looks sweet!!!!!!
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

No longer have a CR500.
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

No longer have a CR500.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I voted "Sandy Vag"...... but the truth is I just couldn't get away from work.

M/J.... could this happen in spring, or is it too cold / snowy?

I would love to make this happen in 2014!!!
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

AlisoBob wrote:I voted "Sandy Vag"...... but the truth is I just couldn't get away from work.

Define spring.

Beginning of April is usually when I try to break out the bike and ride up to the snow line.

Late May would be earliest to be sure and have trail all cleared. Even then, routes may be limited. They are typically wet then too, and that will raise the difficulty level. That didn't really matter this time around. We didn't hit the stuff I would figure to be blocked that early anyway. Nights would be chilly camping, like in the low 30's. But if you have a camper...

I only put up the poll to poke fun at y'all. :nutkick:
I was hardly serious.
No longer have a CR500.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

reading my reply I found that sand in my vag really does appear to be the reason and I voted appropriatly.

How are your guys fall sessions....I realize sunlight hours, cold nights, potential storms and all that apply but it seems you have a similar season to mine. Fall is my favorite here.
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Rhino89523 wrote:How are your guys fall sessions....I realize sunlight hours, cold nights, potential storms and all that apply but it seems you have a similar season to mine. Fall is my favorite here.
I have been known to ride into November. July - Sept get kinda dusty, but I'd imagine you'd be used to that.

The best stuff starts getting covered back up with snow in October.
No longer have a CR500.
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

I can relate to the cash hemorrhage. This year has been bad. I'm sliding. Something needs to change soon.
That being said, I have no right to poke fun like that, but I'm doing it anyway because I'm an asshole.
No longer have a CR500.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Being an asshole is what ride reports are all about, its the moto-ers version of facebook. "look at me i'm having a delicious double mocha at starbucks right now" our version "I'm riding the living shit out of my dirtbike on these really awesome trails while you are staring at your computer screen just having finished a fresh jack off and you decided to check the banned site"

I think we would get along great and your trails look unbelievable. My area gets dusty as well but I ride by myself most of the time so dust isn't really an issue. I ride in dust pretty well, I just wait a bit for it to clear.
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

No longer have a CR500.
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Day 1
JT and Rob starting the day.
No longer have a CR500.
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Trees scare me. Ever see a car rapped around one? :lol:

And then theres those down the cliff parts that u can't see the bottom of. Not like Calif where you can count the rocks going down. But I guess its better that way, more cushion from the bushes.
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

april next year might have to start planning another state side trip and make it a iternational hoon fest
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

AlisoBob wrote:I voted "Sandy Vag"...... but the truth is I just couldn't get away from work.

Well?
No longer have a CR500.
cowboyona426

Post by cowboyona426 »

MojoScojo wrote:

Well?
I'd be in if we set something up!
16 YZ 450FX
01 XR 400R
98 CR 500R
91 CR 500R
95 CR 250R
98 WR 250Z
91 XR 200R
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Now that I am being forced into retirement this November, not that its a bad thing aside from planed on working a few more years. and not sure how the money will hold out, it is a consideration since St Anthonys and the Oregon coast have been on the bucket list.
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882
MojoScojo

Re: North Idaho "Hoonfest"

Post by MojoScojo »

To all of you who "couldn't make it"...
This is my back yard, my playground. I look out my back window and the peak he's pictured on is what I see.

No longer have a CR500.
cowboyona426

Re: North Idaho "Hoonfest"

Post by cowboyona426 »

Assuming that is Packsaddle.
16 YZ 450FX
01 XR 400R
98 CR 500R
91 CR 500R
95 CR 250R
98 WR 250Z
91 XR 200R