Mojo hits the ...track?!?!

WTF Happened!!!!
MojoScojo

Mojo hits the ...track?!?!

Post by MojoScojo »

Nothing like a day a the track to make an old singletracker feel fat n weak.

The kid and one of my riding buddies talked me into I went to the local motocross track yesterday for a practice session. You can show up and ride most all day for $20. Not a bad deal actually.

Anyway, we get there and get all suited up and ready to go and I hit the track first.

First thing to hit is the finish line tabletop. Ok, should be no biggie...OMG! This bike is going to KILL me on a track. It works beautifully on singletrack. It rails the corners. Just keep it on the goddamn ground!!!

Anyway, I spent the rest of the morning sharing the track with riders of several levels. I took my time and tried to learn the track and gather the courage to find the right speed to hit things with and not kill myself. Yeah, that did not work so well. My body remembers what to do, and so does my brain, the problem is, my sense of self preservation is screaming "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!?!". I can rail the corners and blast to the next jump with the fastest of the guys that were there, but when I get there, I'm on the brakes hard. I'm NOT gonna jump this thing. When it comes to berm blasting, I can get the bike damn near horizontal and rail it hard, but that's where it stops.

I felt like a total goon out there rolling practically everything. Then I went and watched everyone else after I was all done. I guess I had nothing to be embarrassed about, 2/3 of other riders were doing the same, but they were slow in the corners too. :-P

My son and riding buddy tell me that every time I jumped at all, I bottomed out. "Geez dad, lose some weight why don't ya" :D

At any rate, I had fun and managed to not kill myself. Hell, I didn't even wreck. Had some pretty scary moments though, for sure.

Pictures? Ha! You wish. ;-)
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Re: Mojo hits the ...track?!?!

Post by AlisoBob »

MojoScojo wrote: I guess I had nothing to be embarrassed about, 2/3 of other riders were doing the same, but they were slow in the corners too. :-P
:headbang: :headbang:
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

It's all about the fun.
I rarely like all the parts of a track either and jumping is where I had my biggest accident so I usually roll anything I can't see over nowadays.
I love vids from Pala in Cali.
That's one fun place from all the vids.
Anyhow, good to hear you did it.

MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Tharrell wrote:It's all about the fun.
I rarely like all the parts of a track either and jumping is where I had my biggest accident so I usually roll anything I can't see over nowadays.
I love vids from Pala in Cali.
That's one fun place from all the vids.
Anyhow, good to hear you did it.

That track looks like more fun. Only a couple of those I would be rolling.

The rhythm sections were the worst. They're small, but they hurt like hell to do even a little bit wrong. I could probably really enjoy a day at the track if I was willing to adapt my suspension for it.
No longer have a CR500.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I roll track a few times a year with my singletrack mush bucket, I know exactly how you feel.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Gee thanks. Now I want to goto Pala. About an hours drive. Committed to Milestone for Sunday and have to get the membership but now I read on there site that its good for Pala too. Cool!

I can't believe the Nats are at Smellsomewhores this year. That place blows. Expect a lot of crashes. That's not why it blows. The dirt is like a packed slit bed. Hard as conceate when dry. Slippery as f when to wet. I've rode just about all the tracks around here and Elsinore is the only one I would not race at unless it was for the series ending trophy.

Oh and I have a theory. Set the bike up for the track and its good everywhere else. :wink:
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

iggys-amsoil wrote:Oh and I have a theory. Set the bike up for the track and its good everywhere else. :wink:
Hehehe, come play with me Iggro... :twisted:
No longer have a CR500.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Holy Shit.
I actually contributed something besides a couple of my own crash vids. :lol:

btw-If you peruse motocross actions website, they report on Glen Helen all the time and it looks like a nice place to ride also.
Here it is in FIM GP format which is quite a bit different than week in week out riding/racing.

Here's another great track in Cali.
Honey Lake.
Go fullscreen on this one, it's friggin awesome!
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

GH is considered the Man's, Man of tracks in these parts.

Its probably second to the most fun I have riding tracks out here. Comp Edge probably being first. Funny though, I have fractured each arm once at each of them. GH being a total brain fart and probably the worst injury flat landing from 12' onto the start straight. :x
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882
Slugboy2

Re: Mojo hits the ...track?!?!

Post by Slugboy2 »

MojoScojo wrote:Nothing like a day a the track to make an old singletracker feel fat n weak.

The kid and one of my riding buddies talked me into I went to the local motocross track yesterday for a practice session. You can show up and ride most all day for $20. Not a bad deal actually.

Anyway, we get there and get all suited up and ready to go and I hit the track first.

First thing to hit is the finish line tabletop. Ok, should be no biggie...OMG! This bike is going to KILL me on a track. It works beautifully on singletrack. It rails the corners. Just keep it on the goddamn ground!!!

Anyway, I spent the rest of the morning sharing the track with riders of several levels. I took my time and tried to learn the track and gather the courage to find the right speed to hit things with and not kill myself. Yeah, that did not work so well. My body remembers what to do, and so does my brain, the problem is, my sense of self preservation is screaming "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!?!". I can rail the corners and blast to the next jump with the fastest of the guys that were there, but when I get there, I'm on the brakes hard. I'm NOT gonna jump this thing. When it comes to berm blasting, I can get the bike damn near horizontal and rail it hard, but that's where it stops.

I felt like a total goon out there rolling practically everything. Then I went and watched everyone else after I was all done. I guess I had nothing to be embarrassed about, 2/3 of other riders were doing the same, but they were slow in the corners too. :-P

My son and riding buddy tell me that every time I jumped at all, I bottomed out. "Geez dad, lose some weight why don't ya" :D

At any rate, I had fun and managed to not kill myself. Hell, I didn't even wreck. Had some pretty scary moments though, for sure.

Pictures? Ha! You wish. ;-)
Ditto, whenever I ride on a track. You described it to the letter.
At least we have the sack to get out there, not only to face the track itself but the razzin' afterwards from the 'billers.
Not to worry. I can make the average foot puller squeal like a pig on some of the technical stuff I ride. I'm sure you can too.