O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Nice view!!
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Which kickstand is that? My PMB took a shit.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Its the factory CRF250X stand
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Well sinjce there is nothing for today on this site I will add a little...no pictures because I just don't end up taking them.

I am still in love with the AF, I rode the piss out of it Sunday and it works perfect for me. The only issue I really have with it is fuel capacity. I love riding this bike with one of my friends and it works great in his neck of the woods. Near his house there is a lot of sand, sand washes, sand hill climbs, and whoops. Its only like 20 miles from my house but I have a lot more rock and dirt. The AF works great in sand and it's a beast in the whoops...the problem is I am lucky to get 60 miles out of the tank. Last weekend I rode with 2 32 oz gatorade bottles full of fuel and a 3.2 oz kicker of oil to make another gallon if needed. I ran through all of my mix and my friend had enough to kick me a half gallon out of his bike to get us both home...I barely made it and had just enough left over when I drained it out to fill my weedeater. I don't really like the huge desert tanks with the fuel in the radiator wings but I might be headed that way. I can ride my XR pretty solid out there and it has no problem with the fuel but the flickability of the CR makes me love it in sand washes, plus coming out of a corner into a straight away it stomps on hyis KTM 520 or whatever it is as long as I have the bag to keep it twisted to the lock.

I have been riding my XR a lot so spending some time on the CR was needed to remind me how to ride in the attack position. I am on my XR today me and one of the guys here at work both rode in, so we are singletracking home... we have been hitting up the track a little too just to keep the airtime skills...not that I am a high flyer, especially on an XR full of fuel but a few tabletops every now and then is good for the soul.

Timbersled is on the way for the winter so the quiver will be

XR650R dual sport
1990 CR500 fully ported, PWK'd, 250 ignitioned, fatty piped sand bike
2005 crf250x FRAMED CR500AFX trail warrior
1997 CR 500 timbersled snow bike
DRZ250 loaner
IT465 Bomber class (almost finished)
passport 70 honda scooter thing
Z50
BW200

and of course the 2001 Harley Roadking!!!

I love motorcycles.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Big Wheel 200! those are the shiz nitz,

Man, I wish I could ride single track home from work, I despise the work drive.

good to hear your living the life, not sure how much longer I have on a bike, knees have been telling me my age lately.
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Your pretty handy Rhino.... one thing I never did that I wanted to was to drill and tap holes in the spars to fill them with fuel.

It looked really easy to do.

Tap and connect the bottom of the spars to fill and drain with the main tank.

Tap and connect the tops of the spars with the cap vent line .

Done.....
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Have not thought about this one for a minute, just got back from France. Saw AF's going for 11000 Euro....got me thinking I need to take a couple that way, sell them, but a Unimog and 4 Africa Twins....send them all back and keep the unimog and one of the Africa twins.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Still moto-ing
This picture was taken by my good friend Dolf, we have been riding together for 25 years or so now, he was one of my groomsmen in my wedding, I consider him one of my best friends. We have probably only said a few hundred words to each other over the years, we just moto. He is one of those guys that wants to put the spank on me when we moto together and the feeling is mutual. We both end up hurting for a few days afterward. anyway this is a picture of me way out in the middle of BFE....this ride had me needing extra fuel even after dumping 2 full 32 oz gatorade bottles of fuel at it. Might have to run one of those ugly ass desert tanks.

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Thanks for the post Matt!
Worried that nobody here was actually burning fuel
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Haha...I burn fuel always, it's just the question of what it's getting burned in. Summer time I burn more fuel in the XR than the CR because of the license plate and distances I'm able to go on a full desert tank on the XR. I also burn a ton through the boat in the summer, I dig dangling off the rope in the summer and both of my kids are getting to be little rippers on the wake....so I put in my easy family time prepping up for Dad solo time in the fall/winter/spring.

Pulled the trigger on a Timbersled so that ought to get me burning even more. I love fuel and I still burn a few cases of the 64 oz bottles of premix every year.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

No Elmo shirt? Wtf? Some nice looking country to ride in there.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Haha, I was wondering if someone would call me out on the lack of Elmo....He is still around, I blasted through a few Elmo shirts and had to order some new ones, I was between sets so I wore the "team jersey" from the baja race. Its a great riding area out where we were at but the good stuff is behind the direction of the picture, the way the picture is pointed is out towards the flats where it's mostly just sand washes or roads. The stuff behind us is all mountain single track and nasty climbs.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

:rmwl:
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Haha.... I have been pretty weak on my riding as of late, I finished out the summer boating and have been busting ass to finish my backyard with a shit ton of pavers, new hot tub, fresh lawn...all that crap. Then in the evenings I go into the workshop and have been working on the Timbersled snowbike set up. Should be done with the backyard this weekend and then I am off the hook until we redo the kitchen at some point next year.
Rhino89523

Re: Rhino's AF rides

Post by Rhino89523 »

Haven't been here in a while. So here is my update. Last year right before Christmas while out riding my AF with a group of guys I went down pretty hard and flew into a pile of rocks. I was able to get myself back to my truck and drove home to start healing. A few weeks later I went to Hoonfest. I realized I wasn't going to be able to ride when I couldn't get my gear bag off the shelf. I went anyway because I meet up with my best friend there, I dig hanging out with Tracy and the boys from AZ, and figured I could still shoot and hang out, plus we flag the Supercross race and I love doing that.

When I got there I realized I really don't chill out all that well so I thought I would get a gocart or something..ended up with a RZR, figured I would sell it after the week, fix it up a little and make some cash. Well I had a blast with the thing driving one armed and chose to keep it. I thought about getting a 4 seater so the whole family could play but decided who the hell wants to ride in the back of one of these things so I bought another 2 seater and now I have 2 of these things. Both 800's, one is Turbo...nothing special but yes I am coming clean I have RZR's....we call them Gayzers.

When I got back from AZ I realized I wasn't healing too quick maybe I should get looked at. I'm almost 50 so I realize we heal slower but this seemed really slow. Ended up at the surgeon where they said I had broken my arm in 2 spots and shattered my shoulder. Sent me to get an MRI. Had that done and they said my shoulder is junk. They said the shattered part had started to heal and one of the pieces was pushed out about a CM and that is what the shooting pain was from. The surgen said it wasn't worth doing anything to because I have so much arthritis in it and I need a replacement shoulder. I basically said "F" you and walked out. went to another surgeon who does a bunch of the Redbull athletes and got the same result....I said "F" it I think you a wrong.

So I went to work the next day and started shoveling snow and living my life. I stayed off motorcycles all winter and spring. When summer hit I started wake skating and wake surfing. I started riding again 2 weeks ago. I am not as strong as I was a few years ago, I think now that my shoulder is coming back around maybe I can build up again but I am riding well enough now that I am happy. At one point I thought I would be lucky to just be able to ride fire roads or sand dunes but I am back to pounding rocks pretty well.

I definitely think I made the right call not having a replacement. I sort of wish I hadn't stepped into the surgeon because now i know I have garbage shoulders....but I turn 50 next year and I still ride with kids so for now I am winning.
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Huge high five to you for persevering.
:urock:

Hope you can find the self control to tone it down so you can ride with your kids into your 70's.
I'm 50 and still riding with my dad, in his 70's.
He's slower and more conservative these days because, like you say, he doesn't heal very quickly, but he gets it done. As he puts it, and I totally agree, he's on 2 wheels, therefore, happy.

Oh, and... F@#$%#$ Gayzer!
:knock:
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
cowboyona426

Post by cowboyona426 »

Dang Rhino, sounds like you've had a bit of a rough go lately but glad things are starting to come around.
16 YZ 450FX
01 XR 400R
98 CR 500R
91 CR 500R
95 CR 250R
98 WR 250Z
91 XR 200R
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Rode a good one with some of the boys last weekend. We rode up to the top of Mount Patterson in the sweetwaters. Some pretty cool singletrack with a bunch of fairly deep water crossings. Mostly smoother flowing type singletrack...not as much of a rock pounding but fairly technical. I rode my XR again which is a combo of hard because it is heavy, especially with a full tank, and ultra smooth. The power delivery on the XR is just full tractor, the traction it gets is crazy, and rocks jump out of the way when they hear that big monster coming. It was about a 65 mile ride, lot of single, and some fun rocky 2 track capped off with the most crazy complete shale close to 12,000 ft mountain top. The drop off the back of this thing is nuts, you just ride big shale plates down the hill sliding on the complete verge of out of control.

I made the ride no problem, my shoulder felt fine the next day and today 2 days later. I think I am ready to get back on my CR. We will see how that goes, if it is too hard on me I will go to the darkside and get some sort of electric start 300, but I don't think that will be necessary yet. My brain is struggling a little. I just got to where I can sleep on this shoulder and I really don't want to crash on it. I really don't want to be out of the game again...that's a weird way to ride with this fear sort of looming over my head, but I think more time in the saddle will help.

I have been thinking much like Mojo is talking about with the "I'm older lets taper it back" I felt like I was actually doing a decent job of that when I crashed. I'm not really an ego maniac so I don't have a hard time keeping the ego in check. I would like to be able to ride technical nasty singletrack a while longer and well into my retirement if possible. They told me with the replacement shoulder I shouldn't lift anything over 20lbs above my head...WTF??? I am doing much better than that with the shoulder I have, we will just hang in there.

I had in the back of my head that I would like to Ironman the 1000 when I retire...I think it might still be possible. I've always believed in mind over matter and as I get older I am having to really live some of the philosophy.
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

The people you ride with make all the difference.
No longer have a CR500.
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Oh yeah, for all you hoons who "couldn't make it" to North Idaho Hoonfest... :chair: :flamewar: :lame: :screwy: :hohum: :nutkick:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2U9oAnFWey/

See what Graham Jarvis has to say about the trails 10 minutes from my house?

:ride: :dance: :nanna: :rmwl:
No longer have a CR500.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I saw this, you doing another Idaho hoonfest?
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Ha! No.

But if you want to come up, I'd happily be your tour guide.
No longer have a CR500.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Oh Rhino..... I miss you, and think of you often.

Bob