Baja 500 in 3 weeks

Gather Up for IGG'S BIRFDAY BASH @ DOVE SPRINGS!! March 16-18 2012
Rhino89523

Baja 500 in 3 weeks

Post by Rhino89523 »

Got talked into riding the baja 500. We are riding my 650r registered as Stuart Gordon #290X. He is an old dude (like 62) and it's a bucket list item. I think him and a couple buddies watched Dust to Glory a few too many times. They have resonable expectations and we are all of the mindset if we finish we win!!! I think I am going to end up riding a lot of miles. Hope I don't get plowed by a trophy truck I'm going to light myself up like a Christmas tree and wrap myself in reflective tape :D

Wish me luck.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Awesomeness..........

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

AlisoBob wrote:Awesomeness..........

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
X2 Big Buddy
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Take matches or a flint :)

On Any Sunday.........
Little Faus, Big Halsey.........
I'm just sayin'..... :)

Good luck buddy :)
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

You better get lots of video........Good Luck down there!
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

Do you need an extra pair of hands? :)
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

redrocket190 wrote:Do you need an extra pair of hands? :)
As a rider? I think we might!!
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

Awesome! Ride safe and have a blast.
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Today is the day for Rhino's run at BAJA!!!!

There is live tracking here http://irctracking.com/2013/PPV/Baja500/ BUT I cant find his group, or number 290X anywhere :cry:

If I find him I will post it up

Here is a map of the course http://score-international.com/wp-conte ... -v7A-2.jpg

Here is another link with all sorts of links to follow the race http://score-international.com/

GO RHINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Bikes are finishing now and I never heard anything of 290X worst Baja tracking ever.
Rhino I hope you had a great time.
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Just heard over the radio they are trying to locate the 290X pretty late in the game hope all is well!!
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Finally found something

At least they weren't last

Here is the link
http://score-international.com/2013-tec ... 0-results/
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I could go on and on about all the F-ing drama.

Bottom line we had a guy who overstated his skills. we had a bunch of guys who sucked. I can deal with the guys who suck...all good. The guy who overstated his skills cost us the whole deal in so many ways I would have to write a novel to cover it all.

I'm running it solo next year, I rode 200 plus miles, had plenty of energy left and raced down the HI way to do 100 more. He had the easiest section and only had to do like 70 miles. zero abilities not only to ride distance but also to be resourceful. He couldn't get himself out of a bag without help.

I am so irritated and bummed right now, not really into failing. Big Ego's suck!!!!!
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Rhino89523 wrote:I could go on and on about all the F-ing drama.

Bottom line we had a guy who overstated his skills. we had a bunch of guys who sucked. I can deal with the guys who suck...all good. The guy who overstated his skills cost us the whole deal in so many ways I would have to write a novel to cover it all.

I'm running it solo next year, I rode 200 plus miles, had plenty of energy left and raced down the HI way to do 100 more. He had the easiest section and only had to do like 70 miles. zero abilities not only to ride distance but also to be resourceful. He couldn't get himself out of a bag without help.

I am so irritated and bummed right now, not really into failing. Big Ego's suck!!!!!

Sorry to hear that Matt. I know your kind of burnt on the idea of teaming up with people but i would love to team up and ride it next year. I have ridden tons in Baja as my family has a place down there and riding in Baja was a big thing for my dad and uncles. Im also in San Diego so that makes things eaiser as well. I know its a long ways away but think it over. Hope your planning to make it to Pismo in July.
Kevin
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Glad to hear you made it out of Mexico in one peice. that is at least a plus :cool:

You also did it which is more than most of us can say, sounds like if you plan on it again you can pick your team and make sure they are riders that you know their abilities, or like you say work on the solo effort.
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

This guy on our crew I knew was full of shit the first time I talked to him on the phone and I voiced it. The team was not put together by me and I think they thought I was just being a dick and had my ego stepped on. I like to think I'm not an egomaniac but you never know how you are viewed by others maybe I am.

I handed him the bike at mile 340, we had 100 miles chopped off for sportsman, I had ridden a little over 200 miles. In prerunning it became apparent he couldn't make it through the last 100....too difficult, but it was blamed on the bike. Apparently he could run the whole Baja 500 by himself if we were on a 450 :roll:

I realize I am the turtle out there, many people were faster than me for the first few miles, I just kept my pace and didn't worry about it. I hear people say they ran a marathon all the time....everyone seems to know a Kenyan is going to win it. I know I will never win anything, but my goal is to roll out of the starting line and return back under the time to the finish.
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

Shit, I am sorry about the Team. But good luck to you for next year.
welcome back home to the USA brother
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Glad you made it back Buddy! I was listening to the BFG and weatherman radio relays to try and hear anything about your team, I never heard a peep until about 7:30 or so then someone wanted to know your whereabouts , but again I never heard a reply.
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I've been in kinda the same situation...

http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... &start=150
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I remember that write up Bob....very similar.

1. First time I talked to the guy he had ridden my XR and said it bottomed out everywhere (really its sprung for me how big is this guy?)
2. He claims to my friends the bike will not make it, he will do a compression check (auto decompress needs to get over 2g or stays engaged is he going to drag it around the block behind a car?0
3. shows up late to both our meetings
4. poops out first pre run at mile 25ish, needs to tape his nipples and says the bike he brought is set up for "hucking it" :roll:
5. says he is very underwhelmed by Mexico's riding (it's a 500 mile run did you think it would be singletrack?)
6. can't finish first day pre run his tires are too bald, they weren't
7. first day aboard 650 in Mexico complains about suspension grips and tires....I change all of them
8 "I could ride the whole race if we were on a 450" he has at this point seen 70 miles of the easiest part
9 doesn't listen to how you start the 650 and wears himself out on the kickstarter

Race Day
10 doesn't pack camelback with listed items
11 doesn't charge or pack radio
12 isn't ready when I get to rider switch at mile 340
13 Cracks clutch cover (O.K. this happens) but
14 doesn't attempt any repairs
15 doesn't find a way to let team know he has stopped
16 sits in a locals campsite drinking and eating tacos waiting for someone to find him
17 the campsite is one mile from Erindira main road doesn;'t work on getting himself out if he is going to throw in the towel

This is my short list but it keeps going the more I dwell on it...something at this point I am trying not to do. All and all Fuck that guy. Most the things in life when I blow it I look in the mirror and deal with it....thoughts of Pismo and a broken Hub come to mind when thinking about some of the things that happen with the dipshit I stare at in the mirror. I don't make excuses it was me, I don't make up a story it was me. When I fail I fail and I can live with it, and try to do better next time.

I can't deal with bull shit, I called this guy out on it multiple times and addressed my concerns multiple times to the guy who paid entry. I am responsible for this as well because I put myself in the situation. I said I would do it and when I realized it was a train wreck I felt obligated and couldn't get out. Never again, I will run the 500 solo until I get that finish.

FUCK!!!!!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

You can suck riding, suck as mechanics, suck at directions, suck at seeing the big picture...... you can suck at most anything and people will just write it off.... as long as you try.

That said.....

15 doesn't find a way to let team know he has stopped

16 sits in a locals campsite drinking and eating tacos waiting for someone to find him

This is inexcusable!!!! Is he in a ditch, in a coma?, Is he some trophy trucks new hood ornament?? You guys are all worried about him.

What a dick.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I'm with you Bob, I can write off almost anything easy. Those are inexcusable for sure but the part that is still burning my biscuit is the false reality.

The whole time he touted himself as some sort of desert master, we could have finished with any group of guys who was real with themselves and knew their abilities.

My kids were happy to see me, I got them wind chimes made out of shells and I made it home in one piece, for this year that is going to have to be good enough and I am always grateful to have that......and a wife cool enough to let me chase something as dumb as this on our anniversary no less.
lms1977

Post by lms1977 »

Sucks about that idiot... I'm with you im not the best for sure but I can admit that and I dont quit.... I have always wanted to try That type of race thou I know I could never win it would be cool to try..

Hope you do well solo next year

How long did it take you to do your 200 mile part of the race.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I did a little over 200 miles in a little under 6 hours, we were in good shape when I gave him the bike to finish well before the trophy trucks got anywhere near us. The last 100 miles of the course I had prerun the most and I had that section pretty dialed.

I'm coming around about the whole team thing. As much as that guy kind of pissed me off I learned a lot because of him about the race, team, and myself. My friend who got me into all of this wants to do it again next year, as much as I would like to do it myself and feel I could I do enjoy his money paying the entry fee and all the pits gas etc. so I may ride on his team again. This time anyone who wants to ride on his team will need to make a trip to Reno and take a little run around my backyard for a skill assessment before we head to Mexico and figure out they can't ride there.
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Rhino89523 wrote:I did a little over 200 miles in a little under 6 hours, we were in good shape when I gave him the bike to finish well before the trophy trucks got anywhere near us. The last 100 miles of the course I had prerun the most and I had that section pretty dialed.

I'm coming around about the whole team thing. As much as that guy kind of pissed me off I learned a lot because of him about the race, team, and myself. My friend who got me into all of this wants to do it again next year, as much as I would like to do it myself and feel I could I do enjoy his money paying the entry fee and all the pits gas etc. so I may ride on his team again. This time anyone who wants to ride on his team will need to make a trip to Reno and take a little run around my backyard for a skill assessment before we head to Mexico and figure out they can't ride there.
In im on the road to Reno now.
Kevin