Truck Tires.....Not CR500R stuff, I should be banned!

Helmets, Safety Gear, Seats, Pegs, Bars and all the Other Stuff.
xr680r

Truck Tires.....Not CR500R stuff, I should be banned!

Post by xr680r »

I have ran BFG's A/T's for 22 years. I like my tires quite and I like them to last. Well I am going to replace my 35" tires on my lifted GMC Duramax before Pismo, maybe as soon as tomorrow. I would like a better sand tire but still quite and long lasting. What have you guys used that has worked well?
www.borynack.com/XR650R
Jesus is the Only Way, the Truth and He is Life!
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

I wouldn't change bro! I've run so many tires and none of them compare to the BFG's did you run 12-15 psi in the sand?
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
xr680r

Post by xr680r »

Yes, I always take them down to dangrous low 8~10 psi and they tractor along ok. I was just thinking a little change for once. My BFG's are as bald as I dare take them. Still have a very little tread but, not pulling a trailer to Pismo tread.
www.borynack.com/XR650R
Travis

Post by Travis »

If you get stuck, pull it with your bike. Just joking, but I have pulled my truck out of a ditch with a Raptor once.
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Travis if you get a 4wd Duramax truck with 35's stuck you better bring a fleet of Raptor's!
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
Travis

Post by Travis »

It was a 2wd 1500. Not a duramax. Would love to have a duramax though. My 35's are bald too. But I never really liked them. I tried Goodyear M/Ts. Roared like a SOB, wore bad if not rotated every oil change, and never really gave the traction I would have liked out of a $175-200 a piece tires. Take a leak in the yard and park a tire on it and your stuck kinda thing.
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

Wow, I trip out on that stuff. I'm not a real big knowledgable tire guy, but I have run alot of off road tires for years. BFG all terrains are great sand tires when new and aired down, hard to beat them when it comes to a road worthy tire that is off roadable. As far as long life, I think they suck, way to soft a rubber compound, I get about 7 to 10 thousand miles out of them tops. Now as for the Goodyear MTR's, one of the best tires I ever owned. Quiet, long lasting and extremely good for dry hard packed off road stuff. I have rock crawled the holy shit out of them and they dominate. Of course I run 37's and that makes a big difference, but I love them. The one thing almost everyone hates about them is they don't work in mud. That's ok though because they are not mud tires. Everyone thinks MTR stands for mud terrain radial, it doesn't, it stands for maximum traction reinforced. In any case, for the sand, I highly recommend the BFG AT's, well worth the dough. Oh and a two wheel drive truck with 35's off road in something muddy is gonna get stuck with any tire. Air them down so that when you kick them, they kick you back. :wink:
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

That only show's the mud terrains and not the T/A KO's
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
Travis

Post by Travis »

The truck I pulled out of the ditch was a 2wd. The truck I have now with the 35s is 4wd.

Travis

Post by Travis »

Can't really see the tires too well but they are pretty slick now. They are so high I would have to get rid of my bike to replace the tires so I am just gonna run them till they pop. hahah
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

teemtrubble wrote:That only show's the mud terrains and not the T/A KO's
Thats because they are lower on the list
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyres ... ?type=ORAT

I had them on my ranger and liked them, but they do chunk pretty bad if you haul ass over some rocks. Wet traction also sucks, I was always sliding around in the rain.

I love the nitto terra graplers I have now. They are supoer quiet, take the abuse well and have great wet traction.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
xr680r

Post by xr680r »

Well, I got just over 35,000 miles out of these KO BFG AT's 315/70/17 tires.
Price and wear are always big factor but, never trump porformance and safty. At least on my bikes. I have cheaped out on tires for both dirt and street bikes and always wish I would have spent the money and got the tire that did the job best. Pirelli MT450 Scorpioncross front tires grip like glue but, don't last long at all. On hard slick stuff I would rather go fast and still stick then wish I woulda, coulda...

But, it is time for tires now and I am putting a CR500R together that is still in peaces for Pismo. There comes a time when you just throw money at something to make it come together in time......that has started and something has to give and I won't use the card so, I was looking for a super tire that would do everything, last 200,00 miles, make my truck get 30 miles to the gallon pulling the toy hauler for only $50 a tire :lol:
I am sure you all are using that kind of tire and are just holding out on me.
www.borynack.com/XR650R
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

That's why I have a couple of trucks for different applications but, I still run BFG's
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
arleybeer40

Post by arleybeer40 »

I'm liking my pro-comp extreme at's. I dont think there gona last very long but way better ride and traction than the bfg at's i had on the truck. 37 x 12.5x 17
Brit must be gay because he always says hes gonna have a fag
xr680r

Post by xr680r »

$1130 for the four BFG 315/75/17 A/T KO's ....done. I have used the BFG's forever and was looking to see if others have found something better........guess they haven't changed that much even after they got bought up. MY last set were Baja Champions, they say those are not made anymore. When I bought those almost two years ago they were the ones that replaced the ones that weren't made anymore..........My truck is just getting to be two years old and when I am running the 120hp program the rear tires like to turn.....I love the Duramax power but it sure is hard on tires.
www.borynack.com/XR650R
MICK

Post by MICK »

I replaced a set of 35/12.50-17 BFG M/Ts on my Tundra after some 60,000 miles! As an off road tire they had stopped being usefull at around 40,000 miles but I ran them till the lugs dissapeared.
I replaced them with a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers in a 305/70-17 which is of course a slightly smaller tire. I can't remember the exact weights, but the Nitto's are 15 lbs heavier than my BFG's at the time of replacement.
From a street standpoint I don't have to mention how much better the Nitto's are. But what's great for me is how well the Nitto's perform in the bushes. In 99% of off road circumstances I will experience wheeling my Tundra the Nitto's are hands down a better off road tire. I wouldn't have beleived it until now. In sand, clay, loam, silt, slimy mud and rocks the Nitto's grab like velcro. The only downside to them is in thick heavy mud.
From my earlier experiences with BFG A/T KO's the Nitto's are an honest to god off road tire, while the BFG's shouldn't be taken off a paved road in comparison. You can guess the trade off here are street manners. My old A/T's were quiet on the highway and these Nitto's humm a good deal for an A/T tire.
It's nice having a smaller pickup like the 1st Gen Tundra's because they're easy on tires. I've read comments that Nitto's didn't last long on heavier full size one ton trucks. But having wheeled my trucks with BFG's A/Ts, M/Ts, and Nitto's Terra Grapplers. I can say with confidence the Nitto's are a better off road tire than both of the BFG's. With the BFG A/T being a slightly better street tire.
Last edited by MICK on July 18th, 2008, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

yeah, ask justin about driving my f-150 to get my injured ass out at apex, he was surprised he didn't even have to put it in 4wd unti he was turning around in a rutt on a sandy hill to postion it better for loading the bike.
I didn't expect much since they were so inexpensive, but was pleasantly surprised at the performance of the nittos.
they are killer on wet pavement too, I have trouble breaking the truck loose in the rain now :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

i love my bfg a/t ko's, but my next tire is going to be the Nitto Dune Grapplers.
MICK

Post by MICK »

dannygraves wrote:...so inexpensive, but was pleasantly surprised at the performance of the nittos.
Yeah I forgot about the prices. In terms of $$ the Nitto's are a damn good buy over BFG's. Better tire for less money :3g:

I don't yet have an opinion on how good/bad they wear. But I expect to get an even longer usefull service life from them.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I think you might be right about the wear and heavier trucks. My f-150 is pretty heavy for a 1/2ton, but I got the D rated tires and they don't seem to have any wear issues yet, I've got about 10,000 on them and the still look new, but dirty.

One thing I noticed and they make the same sizes in a D and E rated and I think a lot of guys are putting D's on their 3/4 tons and surprised when they wear out.

Andy's excursion came with the 285 series D rated nittos and he pulls a 11,000 lb toy hauler, I doubt those tires will last very long like that. Mine are the 295 in a D rating and were $170/ea. I did wheels, tires, lock lugs and warranty for what just a set of BFGs would have cost.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

TYSTYX wrote:i love my bfg a/t ko's, but my next tire is going to be the Nitto Dune Grapplers.
a buddy of mine got the dune grapplers for his 2wd f-150 that is on 20's and stock height.
He pulls a small trailer out to dumont and hasn't gotten stuck since he got the tires and they look sick too :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

What the hell are you guy's talking about $800 for 4 BFG"S mounted and balanced and $40 for an alignment cash all day everyday :shock:
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
xr680r

Post by xr680r »

That would be nice! $65 for the cheapest alignment anywhere near here and I got my four BRG's for $1130 done deal. Wife checked every place even wallie world, everywhere. I would loved to have saved $300.....
www.borynack.com/XR650R
MICK

Post by MICK »

:lol: Not for 35s.

When it comes to tires, size can put you in the hurt locker with a quickness. These are off the notes I took early this year tire shopping. Now tire deals come and go by the week so it's nice to look as often as you can.
*NOTE* These prices are very typical for a four corner set. Shipping in most cases and balancing not included.

BFG A/T 285/70-17, $827 (my 1st set)
BFG M/T 35/12.50-17, $1,200 (my 2nd set)

Toyo A/T 315/70-17, $1,076
Toyo M/T 35/12.50-17, $1,250

Nitto Terra Grappler 305/70-17, $730 (my new rubber)
Last edited by MICK on July 18th, 2008, 5:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.