Keeps my Skid plate noise down

Helmets, Safety Gear, Seats, Pegs, Bars and all the Other Stuff.
Gunfrog

Keeps my Skid plate noise down

Post by Gunfrog »

I use the Moose Racing CR500 plate. I have had them on every Hundy I've owned. I rough up the inside with 100 grit and spray 5 good coats of this rubberized undercoat. I usually paint something crazy on the bottom, like You're fucked, Eat shit, 4-strokes here...Bla Bla Bla. Anyway, it cuts the noise from the rocks n shit way down. I also use the square foam insert, but it doesn't seem to do shit for noise.

The only thing faster than a 500cc two stroke is your mom on prom night!!
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

uhmw? plastic, heated and formed with a good curve on the sides....
quiet, slides good, and way stronger/stiffer than aluminum, bends back after being hit, and since its home made you add a flap to help protect the linkage.....
cheap too
whatever you use make sure its bolted down properly, those hooks or a bar that clamps the frame aint gonna cut it if u actually ride.
what works good is to have someone weld 3 or 4 tabs on the inside frame rails HALFWAY UP so if a rock hits the skidplate and flexes it dosent bend the tabs, also make sure the mounting bolts are as short as possible, if there too long and you hit something the bolt might push up and make marks in the engine cases
heres the only pic i have of it, its only held on with 3 tapered allen bolts, counter sunk, no washers, and its solid, got 4 tabs welded on and didnt notice a tab got put right where the oil drain hole is :bash:

ps eline carbon/kevlar (its just fiber glass) is junk
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Only thing I noticed is the CLANG! in the pipe. Bet you heard THAT too! :twisted:
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

My understanding is the foam is not for noise reduction, they use it as a void filler to prevent mud build up.
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

Bet you heard THAT too!
thats a weird one didnt notice it till i was unloading the bike at home? dont know how it happened
lots of people bug me to get it poped out, more power, aparently it might be hard on reeds..... it goes good so ill leave it :lol:
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Man I still like my AL skidplates. I crack clutch covers and always have bent bolts on my ignition cover, I think without the aluminum wrapping up around those parts I would have a hole in my case or a water pump in my hand. I get those dents in my pipe too and never know how it got there. I do the same thing and run them until I need to take it off for some reason, I throw another one on there until I get a few to repair and do them all at once. I am sure there is some difference in power but for the riding I do it's not really noticable.
RhodeWarrior

Post by RhodeWarrior »

This is what I did. Welded 4- 8mm threaded weld nuts in the frame then made up an aluminum skid plate. Easy enough to make up another plate if it gets damaged too.

Image[/img]